1 1/4 cup Yellow cornmeal (Quaker Oats Yellow Cornmeal is good)
1/2 cup sifted All-Purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 egg, beaten
1 1/4 cup buttermilk
1/4 cup shortening (Crisco)
9-inch Pyrex pie pan
1) Preheat oven to 425 o F.
2) Sift all dry ingredients together with a flour sifter.
3) Melt the 1/4 cup shortening in a small pan on low heat.
4) Beat egg in a mixing bowl, then slowly stir/blend buttermilk into the beaten egg.
5) Quickly stir dry ingredients, then melted shortening into egg/buttermilk mix - leaving a few small lumps.
6) Add light coating of Crisco to pie pan. Pour mixed ingredients into pie pan and smooth it out (with the back of a spoon or a rubber spatula).
7) Bake at 425 o F for 15-20 minutes. Cornbread is ready when edges and top are golden brown. Slice cornbread in pie-shaped slices and serve hot with butter.
<Back to my Home Page>